Thursday, August 7, 2008

MacGyver mentality...island ingenuity

You know me! I'll resort to anything just to save a couple hundred yen. Seems as if everyone on Oki dries their clothes courtesy of the island winds. Not to be outdone, I went to the base exchange (PX, BX, NEX, just end it with an -X) with a plan in mind. Now, if you knew me back in the 90's then you KNOW how much I adored MacGyver! There are few people that even know his first name. I do. Do you? Are you asking yourself if you really care? Well, you may laugh. You may criticize. You may scoff at the mere idea of a Swiss Army knife but that man taught me more in one hour a week than I learned in 6 weeks of shop class in the 7th grade.

So, during my exchange excursion I thought all hope was lost when all I could find for clothesline was...dental floss. And, the mint kind, no less! The only thing I could find to lash it to were those little coffee cup hooks you put in your kitchen cabinets. After realizing those hooks probably wouldn't go through cinder block I opted for other materials. Let's see...fishing line and super glue? Nah. Sewing thread and picture hangers? No good. Imagine my dismay when I walked down the laundry aisle and found...clothesline and clothespins! Yep. If only I had thought to look there first. It could've saved me a little time. Ah well. I wouldn't have been able to reminisce about one of my favorite TV shows of all time...next to the A-team, of course! Do you remember the theme song?

No comments: