Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Okinawa Mama's Perfect Sticky Rice

After intensive investigation into how you make sticky rice sticky, I found the secret! It's so easy! I'll be rolling sushi in no time. No I won't. I don't even like sushi. Why would I waste my time? Here's one secret I'll reveal and don't expect many more.


Okinawa Mama's (that's me) Perfect Sticky Rice (every time)

Rice Cooker Method:

Rinse rice well in a strainer cold water to remove talc and dust. Make sure you rinse until the water runs clear. Not all rice has talc or dust but the kinds I buy do. We use Basmati rice and another type of rice from Japan. I don't use Basmati rice for sticky rice although it would probably work.

Put rice in the rice cooker and cover with given amount of water. I usually have 2 cups of rice and let it soak for 1 hour in 3 cups of water. My rice cooker has the lid with the handle that seals the cooker. It "knows" exactly how long to cook whatever amount of rice and it comes out perfectly every time.

2 cups rice
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 tsp. salt

This will yield 4 cups.

Use short or medium grain white rice. It's a 1 1/4 cups water per 1 cup of rice ratio. Do NOT use instant or Minute rice.

1 cup uncooked rice yields approximately 2 cups cooked rice. I know you already knew that.

So, it would look a lot like this...

3 cups rice
3 3/4 cups water
3/4 tsp. salt

4 cups rice
5 cups water
1 tsp. salt

No comments: