Thursday, October 23, 2008

In pursuit of perfection

Have you ever had that moment you felt as if everything was right in the world? That it was all perfect? That's how I felt yesterday afternoon on the way to the BX. Again, with the camera safely tucked away in a drawer at home, I looked up at just the right moment as an E-3C Sentry broke over the trees in front of me followed by 2 F-15's. What made this so perfect was the sky. It was as blue as I've ever seen it against the thickest, whitest clouds. It would have made the perfect picture. Yeah...it all would've been so perfect. Too bad I don't have the perfect camera. Do you know what the perfect camera is? It's the one you have with you! I'm going to learn. It stands to reason though that when I actually have camera in hand that the jets will be grounded. That's just the way it works with me. Some people call it Murphy's Law. I call it...McAlister's Law.

On the way off of Kadena there's a hill that just as you crest it you can see the East China Sea. There was almost no haze and the sea was this amazing navy blue color. Off in the distance you could see one of islands that is almost invisible any other time unless visibility is almost clear. Again, the scenery was magnificent and there was even a commercial jet flying over the sea that would've completed the picture...perfectly. If only I had that camera... You know, it's not that I don't have a camera with me 100% of the time. Our cell phones have great cameras! The problem is getting them off of the phone and onto the computer. Sure we have a general idea of the way it works but there are those pesky little things we need to know. It's those little things we could find out and do...if only the instructions were written in English!


So, now in the pursuit of perfection I have learned my lesson. The camera bag will be with me EVERY time I go onto Kadena. There's someone I'm dying to one-up where that perfect picture is concerned but, I'm not sure I can do it. My jealous streak is showing but I give... This is your best picture ever!
Happy Birthday, Daniel! :) Now, I need a favor...

No comments: