Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Look before you leap & say a prayer before you sleep

Well, it's come to my attention this evening that there appears to be at least one snake in the neighborhood. Several houses down from us a woman was coming out of her house and there was a snake at the doorstep. While it was not a Habu it was still a poisonous snake. We have two front doors and one back door. The one front door leads from the utility room to the space where we keep the trash can and recycling bins outside. I've never been too excited to have to take the trash out after dark so...I don't. It's just too creepy. Then there's the banyan tree in the backyard. I don't even like to be under it at all. I've never been under it enough to touch the trunk. All I can think about is that Habus like trees and they tend to come out after it rains. Yikes! Every day I look before I leap!

Other than a couple of geckos that have gotten in and dropped their tails when Lonnie caught them, there has only been one other creepy-crawlie in the house. It was some ugly spider and that thing was aggressive! Nightlights are in every room in the house and they're not for Jenna. They're more for me. That started when I lived in Louisiana and didn't want to step on roaches. Now we need them to avoid those geckos (I would DIE if I squished one) and those aggressive spiders. One of my prayers before I go to bed...

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the critters outside you'll keep.
The spiders, the shrews, the geckos too,
And especially things that belong in the zoo.
If I should die before I wake,
It'll probably be from a Habu snake!
So please, dear Lord, have mercy on me,
Keep those nightlights burnin' so I can see!
For if my feet step on something... No! They couldn't!
I don't want to say something I shouldn't!

Simple...yet effective.

1 comment:

The Langleys -- said...

Very poetic praying... :)

Our house stays pretty open (windows and such) since we don't have central a/c. So we've seen plenty of geckos -- at least, until the cats arrived. They seem to have driven the lizards into hiding. Fortunately, no Habu -- or any other snake. And THAT, my friend, is really why they call Hawaii paradise!

A final irony: the word verification for this comment was "icytoho," which would appear to be what you're trying to avoid with your prayer to avoid stepping on things! ;)

Don