Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Raw fish...so hard to get past the thought

So I decided to live life on the edge last night. We went out to Kitakaisen for dinner with a group from the critical care nursing conference. Kitakaisen is the first restaurant we went to on the island the night after we arrived. The people at the table ordered a bunch of sushi and soybeans to pass around. Jenna ate her weight in the soybeans. I don't think they're that special. The sushi's another thing...

Sushi is something that I've never tried in my life and really had no pressing reason to ever go there. There are several types of sushi connoisseurs. Okay, two. There are those that like it and those that don't. I fall into that last category. I tried two different kinds. One was salmon and the other was spicy tuna. I didn't know how it would go so I made sure I had two napkins in one hand in case I needed to expel any foul substance from my mouth. The first one wasn't too bad. Of course, I'm not going to run out to a sushi bar on Friday night, but it really wasn't the worst thing I've ever eaten. I thought to myself, "well, you've tried one so the other one's probably okay. Go ahead!" Well, the spicy tuna wasn't quite the same. There was a whole lotta raw tuna in that one huge bite. In the first one there was so much cream cheese and rice that you couldn't really taste the fish. That second piece almost caused psychological consequences. I didn't quite gag but I was toying with the idea. Naturally, right in the middle of the bite this little voice kept chanting in my head, "RAW fish! RAW fish!" Well, I had to listen. I had almost made it all the way. Half of it was gone and I thought I was home free until I realized the half that was left in my mouth was actually most of the tuna. The rice, avocado, wasabe and ginger were gone. So, there's the first experience. I know everyone's been wanting to know when I was going to try it. The one thing I found out about it is I can't eat it without making a face or closing my eyes. LOL

The company last night was great! I sat next to a guy that's a medic on a KC-135 Stratotanker. That's a plane, people. Keep up! It's an Air Force plane and, more specifically, a refueler. I see them fly over the house a lot with the refueling boom down. I could've had a tour of that plane with everyone else after the conference but I didn't make it.

One girl at our table graduated from NLU/ULM in 2000 and is from Bastrop! Can you believe it? Well, if you're not a close friend, not from Louisiana or not a member of my family then you probably can't. But it was something so cool to hear! We're halfway around the world and meet her. She's in the Air Force and was in San Antonio when we were. Jenna was born in Wilford Hall on September 04 and her son was born there on the 13th. We were just missing each other! Imagine that. Two people here from Bastrop. The other person is our Sunday School teacher!

No comments: