Sunday, December 28, 2008

Tree hugger & canvas bag lugger

Nope. I'm not. But, it made for a good title! If I've learned anything in the past several months it's that recycling is the responsible thing to do. I always knew that it was, but it's so much easier when given the equipment to do it. Housing was nice enough to provide 4 separate recycling bins which we use for paper, plastic, glass & metal. All we do on recycling day is bag it up separately (in recyclable plastic bags, of course) and put it on the curb.

Now, being the educator that I am, it's quickly become my mission to educate the Not-So-Respectful Neighbor who (with spouse and child in tow) was walking their dog and stopped in front of our house (or, rather, the dog made them stop). It's 0915 on Christmas Eve and our front door is open. They stood there while the aforementioned dog left us an early Christmas present. Here's where the recycling comes in. Those nice little plastic bags you leave with that have your groceries in them? Here's a good chance to recycle them. Pick up after your dog! The Japanese are serious about this...or at least the town of Chatan. You've seen this before...


You're right. Not the best grammar but, a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm thinking of making this poster-sized and planting it in the front yard by the tidy little pile next to the tree. All day long I checked the yard because I knew, I mean I just KNEW that they would at least send their daughter back to pick it up. After all...it was Christmas Eve!

Since we've been strong-armed into doing the right thing by recycling then if you know me you know that I have to do it 100%. What I've found is there is almost NOTHING that can't be recycled. Really! If you have a chart to go by it makes it virtually painless. Within a few weeks you won't even have to look at it anymore. I can tell you that we have about 10% of the trash that we used to.

The commissary has big canvas bags that we bought to reuse every time we go. We've cut down on those little plastic bags quite a bit. Of course, it helps when you remember to take them in with you! And, every now and then I'll use a few because I'm thinking of putting some out by the sign next to the tree.

Naturally, there are more people here that don't recycle to the fullest potential but at least they're putting forth a little effort. Believe it or not, even Jenna is in on the action. So, if a 4 year old can do it...

No comments: