Wednesday, December 10, 2008

When what to my wondering eyes did appear...

...but a member of the

Kingdom:
Animalia

Phylum:
Chordata

Class:
Mammalia

Family:
Pteropodidae

Genus:
Pteropus

...conjuring up all kinds of fear...


Yep. We got home from church about 2015 and I was the first one to walk to the front door. I felt this sudden gust of wind and was thinking it was going to be a windy night or else I knew what it was like to experience the brush of angel's wings. WOW! I didn't jump 10 feet in the air like I did at the Riverwalk right after we moved to San Antonio and that 20 foot viper slithered in front of me. Hmm...seemed like 20 feet at the time. And it was poisonous. He just had that look about about him. I know these things...

Anyway...the bat. This is no small mammal and apparently he's essential to the new version of the cardiac stress test they're trying out on this very island! The average wingspan is 5 feet and he was pushing right up against that. It was very, VERY impressive. I would love to get a picture of one of these little guys. Apparently, they hang out in droves in some of the trees here on the base. You know, what do they call a group of bats anyway? Is it a herd...like cows? A murder...like crows? Or how about a pride...like lions? Nah. They're just a colony. That's not nearly as impressive as a murder. I think they should change the name. I'll work on that.

You know the jury's still out where sushi is concerned, but what about bat? I hear they taste just like chicken! Mmm, mmm! Nothin' like a little deep-fried bat-on-a-stick at the county fair. It's just a little chewy. Hey, would you pass the salt?

No comments: