Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Ube, you say?

Jenna & I were out shopping at the local Japanese Home Depot. It's called Makeman's and the logo has a monkey on it. I can't get a straight answer on the pronunciation. Some people call it Makeman's, others say MOCK ay mohn and some people just call it the monkey store. We perused the plants first. They sell orchids there for almost $200! After that, we went into the back. Let me tell you...they sell toilets & toilet seats that must come with a 200 page manual and a mandatory inservice to obtain an operator's license. I have never seen so many buttons! You can even get a bun warmer! No kidding! Just like you can get car seat warmers in your SUV, you can get them on toilet seats here. Naturally, it was time to go to the 100 Yen store. Now, 100 Yen = 1 USD. Mmm hmm. Can you say Dollar Tree?

After shopping I had the worst idea you could possibly have in 90-ish deg weather and 100% humidity. I announced to Jenna that we would get ice cream. I have never in my life seen an ice cream cone melt so fast! Both of them were all over everything and the only thing to clean up with was a box of Kleenex sitting on the table. Hmm. Kleenex + ice cream = what were you thinking?

Different country. Different flavors. I had heard about ube ice cream ever since we got here. Ube = ooh bay. Ube = purple yam from the Philippines. On a whim I thought, "Why not? Let's try it". It was sooooo good! My two favorites here so far are Mango Tango and Ube. The thought of eating a purple yam made into ice cream was pretty unappealing. Who knew it would be one of the best things I've ever tried?! Hey. At least I know for sure there's no shellfish in it!

No comments: